Saturday, May 11, 2013

Bird Poo



"It is bird poo". I'm looking at the ski area webcam and there is a spot of white on the green. My friend does not believe I'm seeing snow, and she is a local here in Virginia. But I think it is worth a shot, particularly since I have nothing to do on Saturday morning, having completed the week's meetings and heading back to Europe in the evening.




It took only six hours to drive to the Wintergreen resort and back, but it was worth it. The white spot was snow*. A two second run down the snow, and I need to head to the airport. Gotta admit the ratio of skiing time versus travel time was on the low side, though.

But I bagged Virginia. State #17 in North America.

*) Or a very cold piece of bird poo.




Wintergreen

Virginia has no real mountains or very cold weather. As such, the skiing options are limited. I liked the Wintergreen resort, however. The area is full of accommodation, golf and ski opportunities, restaurants and other services. But most importantly, it resides on very beautiful hills. The Virginia countryside is just wonderful in May, when the trees display all possible variations of green colour.



The ski area is a three hour drive away from Washington DC.


Photo and video credits (c) 2013 by Jari Arkko. Tämä blogi löytyy myös suomeksi.

3 comments:

  1. Virginia in May. I made it to West Virginia this past October to ski over 1 meter of new snow. Hurricane Sandy hit a cold front in the Appalachian and dumped over 36 inches of snow in the mountains of West Virginia. I was a huge drive from Canada, but totally worth it.

    As for my state count, WV was number 12. Here are my links to my long posts. Yes, it has been one of my craziest adventures.

    Frankenstorm Trick and Treat, West Virginia style:

    Part 1 : Timberline, Oct 31, 2012
    http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2012/11/24/frankenstorm-trick-and-treat-west-virginia-style-part-1-timberline-oct-31-2012/

    Part 2 : White Grass, Nov 1, 2012
    http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2012/11/28/frankenstorm-trick-and-treat-west-virginia-style-part-2-white-grass-nov-1-2012/

    ReplyDelete
  2. MadPat: That was an epic trip trip report! I loved the pictures of the frozen and dumped-on world. Storms are some of the best times to photograph things, or do fun things like road trips or ski :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. Probably up there with one of the craziest adventures I've done. It was with mixed feelings, as we were skiing in a disaster zone. No one had even seen so much snow, all it feel all at once, and the power was out throughout large part of the state.

    ReplyDelete